Courts in Jorhat
The District and Sessions Judge Court in Jorhat District was established on 15th November 1948 and came into effect from April 1953. The first judge was honorable Mr. S.K Das.
The District territorial jurisdiction is also extended to another sub division namely Majuli sub division. The District and Sessions Judge court along with the complex of the Chief Judicial Magistrate Court is located in the heart of Jorhat town. The District and Sessions Judge of Jorhat currently is Mr. Abhijit Bhattacharyya. The sub division magistrate court located in Majuli was established in the year 1992 on 16th March. The court is located in Garamur in Majuli which falls under Jorhat district and the first divisional judicial magistrate was Mr. N. Sarmah and Dipu Barman is the present magistrate.
The Chief Judicial Magistrate court was established on 1975 and the first chief judicial magistrate of this court was R.M Chakravorty. The Chief Judicial Magistrate court started its functioning in the year 1970.
There is also the Jorhat Bar Association which was established in the year 1901 and works for the development of the lawyers and regulation of court activities. The president of the prestigious Jorhat Bar Association is Sri Bhaba Goswami and the secretary of the association is Sri Hemen Borah.
Contact Details of Courts in Jorhat
- District and Sessions Judge Court: Baruah Chariali, Jagannath Barooah College Road in Jorhat
- Chief Judicial Magistrate Court: Baruah Chariali, Jagannath Barooah College Road in Jorhat
- Sub Divisional Judicial Magistrate Court: Garamur, Majuli, Jorhat
Juvenile Justice System in Jorhat:
The Jorhat Court supervises into different cases like suit files, TADA cases, money suit cases and miscellaneous other cases. The Guwahati High Court located in capital city Guwahati looks into the higher sensitivity cases from Jorhat and other districts of Assam.
The Guwahati High Court was initially inaugurated as Assam High Court on 5th April 1948. The Assam High Court earlier had sittings in Shillong but later it shifted to Guwahati on August 14th, 1948. When Nagaland was created in 1963, the Assam High Court was later renamed as High Court of Assam and Nagaland. Later, when re-organization of the northeastern region by the North Eastern Area (Re-organization) Act occurred in the year 1971, a common High Court was established and was renamed as Gauhati High Court.