Historical Sites in Jorhat
Jorhat, the second largest city of Assam after capital city Guwahati, has a number of historic places which were built during the Ahom rule. The Ahom rulers had their capital in Rangpur near Jorhat and later in Jorhat. This led to the building of many maidams, embankments and tanks in Jorhat town during their rule. Today these places serve as popular tourist places in Jorhat. Some of these historic sites in Jorhat include:
Garh Ali is a historic embankment dating back to the Ahom rule in Assam. The Garh Ali was built by the Ahom rulers to protect their empire from the Moamarias. The Garh Ali is a huge embankment and stretches from the Seoni Ali in Jorhat up to the Naga Hills on the border. The Garh Ali is also called Bibuddhi Ghar.
Magolu Khat was built by Ahom king Rajeshwar Sinha who established the Mogoulus or the Manipuri people after marrying the princess of Manipur, Kuranganayani in Manaimaji village. The Magolu Khat area is located at a distance of 4 miles from Jorhat town.
Ladaigarh is one of the important historic sites of Jorhat. Built by Ahom king Pratap Sinha, this structure was built to protect the Jorhat town from attack of neighboring kingdoms. There are two parts of Ladaigarh namely Meragarh towards the southern part and Swalatgarh towards the northern side.
The name ‘Gazpur’ came to be referred from the incident when an Ahom king decided to build a town by collecting a thousand elephants. However, since it was not possible to collect so many elephants, the king dropped the idea and named the place Gazpur after creating a town there. The place is located towards the northern side of Bilasvara temple and was the place of keeping elephants. It is also known as Hathigarh.
Purnananda Buragohain Maidan
The Purnananda Buragohain Maidan historical site is located on the Tocklai river banks near Macharhat in Jorhat. The maidan is a vault of Purnananda Buragohain and was built by his son who later established his kingdom in Macharhat.
The Raja Maidam, located on the southern banks of Tocklai River, was built to preserve ashes of King Purandar Sinha. This maidam is the vault of Purandar Sinha who died in the year 1894.
Lachit Borphukan Maidan
The Lachit Borphukan Maidan is one of the important historical sites of the town of Jorhat. It was built and dedicated to Bir Lachit, the greatest Ahom general who defeated the Mughals during the famous Saraighat in the year 1672.
The Kunwori pukhuri tank is a huge tank located near the trunk road in Jorhat town. The Kunwori Pukhuri tank was built by Parbatiya Kunwori, the granddaughter of Ahom ruler Sataialia Dilabandha Borgohain.
The Baduli pukhuri tank was excavated during Ahom rule during reign of Ahom King Jayadhvaj Sinha. It was excavated by Baduli Borphukan near the Trunk road in Teok and was named after him.
The Bangal Pukhuri tank is a man made reservoir dating back to the Ahom era.
- SHARE THIS
- TWEET THIS
- SHARE THIS
- LOVE THIS 0